Sunday, July 26, 2020

The First Tither

    I just read Genesis Chapter 14 - and found out that Abram (Abraham) was the first to tithe - he gave a tenth of all the spoils of war he had acquired to Melchizedek, Priest of God Most High (El Elyon) after Melchizedek blessed Abram (Abraham). Jacob, Abram's grandson, was also a tither. However, in both cases this was a one-time deal, not a "every Sunday" affair or even a monthly event. We continue the tradition of tithing today in most churches, where a tenth is considered normal giving - a starting point. Many have been blessed for giving the tithe - and gotten out of debt and been made most prosperous. I want to be blessed. I used to give at least a tenth if not much more of my income - but now that all my income is from SSI and SSDI (Supplemental Security Income and Disability Income) I wonder if I should be giving out of that "pot" - if it's intended for me to live on? Do I spend the government's money on whatever I want or need and then not also tithe? I only see about $150 of it per month coming into my own bank account - the rest is all paid towards my bills. So, $15 a month as a tithe? I'm game for that. My Grama says I should only give out of a cheerful heart - giving to a cause I believe in, not necessarily tithing. My Mom says I should try tithing out of my time and not just money. Like prayer time or time spent serving others or the church. But you know, I am already blessed, so I should be a blessing to others - not blessing others so that I can be blessed. This follows the biblical pattern - Abram (Abraham) was first blessed by God through the Priest Melchizedek, then he decided to tithe out of a grateful heart. Not the other way around. Amen! So I think I will give my $15 to Impact Ministries International - the organization that ordained me - and their City of Refuge in Honduras - they urgently need to install a sewage system and need the funds - and I believe in what they're doing down there. And I will give prayer time as well! 72 Minutes/Day = 1/10th of my waking hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Defeating Evolution On A Mathematical Basis

  Defeating Evolution On A Mathematical Basis - An Article I Wrote in High School The majority of the arguments against or for evolution o...